The Director is responsible for the execution of multiple core state tax projects, including nexus and taxability review, research, state and local tax audits, and reverse audit (refund opportunity) review and execution. This work will also encompass the writing / production of high level tax technical memoranda and technical responses to state taxing authorities. The Director makes decisions on all but the most unusual tax situations.
1. Performs technical tax review and approval of income tax or sales tax returns and governmental tax examinations of any complexity.
2. Demonstrates thorough knowledge and proficiency in advanced technical skills necessary for advising clients independently.
3. Performs all tasks related to client service and sees that assignments are accomplished within budgeted time. Understands firm economics and profitability.
4. Delegates and manages tax research projects to achieve an accurate and efficient product.
5. Participates actively in client meetings and tax planning efforts to assist the Partner / Director group with existing client needs and questions. Continually builds / develops a list of clients where he / she is considered the client service representative.
6. Acts as a resource for the tax and audit groups on specific tax issues and/or questions.
7. Regularly presents tax topics internally (“lunch and learn”) and externally (conferences) to share technical knowledge and market firm / SALT services and expertise. Promotes the practice and firm on social media where appropriate.
8. Assumes client service responsibility for clients the Director works directly with clients where the responsibility is delegated from the Partner.
9. Communicates to the appropriate firm personnel important tax and tax developments affecting the firms’ clients.
10. Delegates and manages governmental tax examinations; may represent the client before the appropriate taxing authorities.
11. Maintains familiarity with qualifications of all tax staff members; reviews staff assignments for appropriateness.
12. Supervises tax staff and provides on-the-job training.
13. Works to develop responsible, trained staff by assisting in recruiting, performance evaluations, development training aids, and acting as an instructor in professional development programs.
14. Adheres to accurate and timely billing and collection processes are made.
15. Possesses a complete knowledge of the firms’ philosophy and its opinions on tax matters.
16. Maintains knowledge of general economic and political trends of possible tax or other legislation that could affect the business climate.
1. Prepares other reports and projects as requested from time to time by the partners.
2. Researches and evaluates sales tax / income tax preparation and tax research software as necessary for recommendation to partners.
3. Participates in firm practice development efforts through involvement with referral sources, community and industry activities.
4. Promotes the most efficient operations of the Firm and supports compliance guidelines in managing others.
5. Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Demonstrated knowledge of current tax laws and related key sales tax issues.
2. Proficiency in use of computer tax preparation, tax research, and tax planning software programs.
3. Ability to operate a computer and calculator.
4. Ability to organize work and projects, prioritize and meet deadlines. Ability to complete work in an efficient and accurate manner without partner assistance.
5. Ability to reason and effectively multi-task.
1. Responsible for the development, coaching and training of Supervising Seniors, Seniors, Semi-seniors and Staff accountants.
2. Must be familiar with the qualifications of all Tax staff members for the development and instruction of their training needs.
3. Participates in reviews and evaluations of the Tax Department.
4. Creates a strong professional work environment.
5. Identifies growth and training opportunities for tax managers and staff.
1. Occasional same-day travel for work at clients’ offices, meetings, and seminars using a personal vehicle.
2. Occasional out-of-town travel with overnight stay for work at clients, meetings, or seminars using a personal vehicle.
3. Minimal Hazards. General office working conditions.
1. At least five to 10-12 years’ experience in public accounting, demonstrating a proven progression in tax complexity, scope, and research.
2. At least two (3) years’ experience representing clients before taxing authorities.
3. Minimum one (2) years’ experience supervising and directing work of tax preparers.
4. Bachelor’s degree in accounting required, Master’s degree in taxation preferred.
5. Minimum of forty hours of continuing education is required each year to maintain and develop technical and business skills.
6. Must have a valid driver’s license.
1. Participates in career development program to improve managerial, communication, and interpersonal skills.
2. Outstanding oral and written communication skills,
3. Excellent interpersonal skills
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org